History

POV liquid dock and sandThe Port of Victoria (POV) was created to formally organize the management of the ports and waterways of the Victoria County Navigation District, which encompasses the entire county of Victoria. The creation of Navigation districts are enabled with the powers to enhance the navigable waterways within their jurisdiction and their creation is allowed by the Texas Water Code.

The Port has recently formed an Industrial Park with multi-modal access. The Park is located within a Foreign Trade Zone and a Texas Enterprise Zone. The Port has the ability to “build to suit” and tailor a package specific to customer facility and transportation needs.

A major cost savings was realized by including the basin expansion with the completion of the widening and deepening of the Canal. In addition to almost doubling the size of the harbor, a 400 foot x 150-foot barge slip was added. These enhancements will offer our customers greater safety and efficiency.

1905

Formation of the Interstate Inland Waterway League of Louisiana and the Texas Canal Association. Construction of Gulf Intracoastal Waterway begins.

1923

U. S. Congress passes a bill authorizing a special survey for the canal. The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers recommends the canal be constructed between New Orleans and Corpus Christi.

1926

First portion of the GIWW is complete – between Sabine River and New Orleans , LA.

1939 - 1945

The War Years. WWII reveals the importance of inland, protected water transportation to the Nation’s defense.

1945

Original construction of the channel authorized by the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1945.

1946

July 8th, West Side Calhoun County Navigation District formed and approved $125,000 Bond Issue for the building of the barge canal. December 16th, Victoria County Navigation District formed.

1947

Voters in Victoria County approve a $500,000 Bond Issue to share the cost to build the barge canal.

1949

Formal completion of the Waterway. Victorian J. M. Pickering cut the ribbon for the opening of the section of the GIWW between Corpus Christi and Brownsville .

1951

Construction of the Barge Canal to Victoria begins.

1953

First 14-mile leg of the Canal to Victoria is completed. Opening ceremony held at the Union Carbide docks.

1965

Barge Canal and Turning Basin is completed.

1968

Dock at Turning Basin in Victoria complete.

1976

Petition to widen and deepen the Canal.

1984

Project submitted for Congressional approval.

1988

Water Resources Development Act of 1988 authorizes widening and deepening of the Victoria Barge Canal.

1994

The Project Cooperation Agreement between the Department of the Army, Victoria County Navigation District and West Side Calhoun County Navigation District for the enlargement of the Channel was entered into on November 17.

1995

Construction begins to widen and deepen the Channel to Victoria with the awarding of the first construction contract in September.

2002

Widening and Deepening of Victoria Barge Canal completed. Turning Basin at Victoria expanded and barge slip added.

2021

Texas Logistic Center formed.

 

Add to Report View Custom Report